Friday, July 2, 2010






Hi and welcome. I have been thinking about it for awhile about having a journal. A place to put my thoughts, and to share what I have learnt and what I am learning. I am not very techie- is that a word? I will have to get the assistance from one my girls to help me post photos.



Currently, I live on a farm in the Peace country which is located in northern Alberta. We have lived here for the past four years. The growing zone here is about a 1b. What does that mean? It means that our winters get down to -40 to -45 degrees Celsius. But I still manage to raise a garden despite the short growing days. The winters are hard on fruit trees. But I am hoping to be able to create a micro-climate in my yard to protect the fruit trees from the harsh winters. That is a work in the progress.


I have lived on a farm for nineteen years now. My husband has been on the land his whole life. We raise mostly commercial beef cows. All natural and hormone free. I have always had chickens, and they are the most simplest creatures to raise. Depending where you live on this blue marble of ours, will determine what kind of building will house your ladies. 


We have a great debate each year when I hatch our chicks about what gets done with the roosters. My hubby doesn't like to butcher. He always apologises to the rooster on the chopping block and tells our future dinner, that he 'doesn't want to do this but she is making me. ' It doesn't bother me to pluck or gut them, I just can't take their lives.


I have had different breeds over the years, but over the past four years, I really want to get into raising the heritage breeds. My current flock of girls are mainly Black Australorps and just two lonely Buff Orpington ladies. Both these breeds are called dual purpose. Basically meaning that they lay a big brown egg, and are a meaty bird. Due to the lack of butchering at the proper time, the roosters get too big and the meat is tough, I end up canning the boys. Nothing tastes as good as canned chicken on a very hot day when you just don't feel like cooking. And the chicken from the jar makes excellent chicken soup in the winter.

Growing up, my late father always said that the land should feed you. I totally believe in that philosophy. When I married my husband, Frank and we moved onto the land I always wanted to raise our own food. I want to raise our own meat, that includes chicken, beef, lamb, and piggys, have a huge garden, and of course the beloved family milk cow. Still working on the pigs!

Thanks for the visit, and check back often.


Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blog world. I live on one acre down here in the state of Ohio. We raise chickens for eggs and meat, goats for milk,and put in a large garden every year. I like your first post. I hope there are a lot more.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly
    Thank you for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there. I discovered your blog, via the Gold Forest Grains blog as I recall, and thought I would come all the way back to the beginning of your blog to see how it got started. It seems to be a lovely journal and thanks for sharing.

    As I live in GP and work on the nearby family farm where I grew up, it is nice (but much too rare) to meet another seemingly similarly minded person/family in the area. And here I thought I had the furthest north blog in Alberta.

    ReplyDelete