Sunday, July 4, 2010

jar of goodness

Well the husband is finally on his way home. He stopped to visit his family yesterday after leaving Banff, and he left there this morning about 10.30ish. He always has such a hard time 'get goin' from his dad's place. They want to chat and visit more. Makes me laugh!

Well, sold four of the six pom pups. Barb drove all the way from Edmonton to here. Which totally blows my mind. That is a six hour drive one way. I have had to meet people an hour down the road to buy a puppy.Those puppies will be spoiled. Two of them she is keeping and the other two are going to two of her friends. Two more to go, and no more puppies. I am done. The papa is fixed. No more! Cute as they are...No definitely sure! No. More. Puppies. Well maybe in a couple of years...hehehehe

We finally received, some much needed rain. We have been so dry. I am not sure how much we got, all I know is I don't have to water the veggie garden or my new raspberry patch. But in a few days, I will have to haul out johnny and mow the grass. I hope the sun is shining and it is warm...hey a cold beer on the ride-on taste great!

I had strawberries left over, and I have enough strawberry/rhubarb jam put up that I didn't want to make any more. But I got to thinking...hey strawberry syrup for pancakes sounds awfully damn fine to me. Well spent nearly an hour on the net looking and couldn't find one that I liked and that was suitable for canning. And I sure didn't want to make any with corn syrup.

A few years back, I went to a garage sale and purchased a used canner. Well, inside this canner was a preserve cookbook, that someone had taken the time to photo copy. It was in this I found a recipe for strawberry syrup. I had enough strawberries to make this recipe into seven pints jars. There was a little bit left in the pot, and not enough of it to fill a jar, so I asked my boy, Frank, Jr, if he wanted to be my taste tester. He got out a leftover pancake from breakfast and he ate it with the syrup. He says 'Mom I am not hungry' Oh, ok don't eat it than. He says too late. Shit head!! Well how did it taste? It was pretty good. Do you remember that commercial that use to be on tv back in the late 70's early 80's for LIFE cereal. "Hey Mikey, he'll try it. He'll eat anything.....blah blah.....Hey Mikey he likes it!!! " Well that was Frank!

So here is the recipe. I figure it should be ok on pancakes, and waffles or even vanilla icecream. It isn't thick like maple pancake syrup.

BERRY SYRUP

4 pounds of berries
2 cups water
sugar
lemon juice

-wash berries and place in a large pot. Add water and crush berries to start juices flowing. Bring to a simmer and simmer 2-3 minutes. Do not boil
-Pour juice and pulp through a jelly bag or cheesecloth-lined colander suspended over a bowl. Let juice drain and squeeze bag to extract all possible juice.
-Measure juice and return it to pot. To each cup of juice, add 2/3 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
Bring syrup to a simmer and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
-Ladle into clean hot jars leaving about 1/2 inch headspace
-Process in boiling-water bath 10 minutes

There is a note to this recipe: If you end up with jelly instead of syrup, it's because the berries used were high in pectin. Simply reheat the jellied syrup and thin with water. If the syrup is not thick enough, boil it in a saucepan to reduce and thicken it.

MY NOTE:

You can use any berries or combination of berries for this recipe. And like I said the other day, I don't follow recipes all that well (note to oneself-work on that!) I didn't let mine get thick enough. But hey, my gang will still eat it...especially in the middle of winter and it is -40 and they want ice cream and syrup on it. A little bit of summer in every jar!!
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl. Welcome to the blogging world!

    I make a strawberry jam each year that we affectionately call drippy jam. It's oh so good on pancakes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cheryl
    The pupppies all made it home safe and sound. Mine are named Callie and Nitro
    the others are Meesha and Muffit
    they are all spoiled rotten
    By the way thank you they are adorable
    I got home at 6:30 that night so I would say a good road trip.
    And I told you I would try and bring the rain ...I guess I did LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barb
    Glad to hear that puppies are being 'spoiled' and that they are giving ya'll so much enjoyment. I have one puppy left. She might end up staying... just like another puppy did (Shy Guy). I have named her Miss Katie. Oh and the rain, I have gotten about 3 inches this week already! :)

    ReplyDelete