Tuesday, September 21, 2010

pea soup


With the cooling temperatures, and the days getting shorter, it is only natural that one turns to homemade soup to warm the soul.

PEA SOUP


Rinse 2 1/4 cups dry green split peas. (It equals out to be one of those 450 gram bag of split peas, and for my neighbours to the south about one pound). In a Dutch oven combine peas, 8 cups cold water, 1 teaspoon instant chicken oxo, 1 meaty ham bone, 1 medium onion chopped, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 dried marjoram (side note-I only measure my peas and water, the rest of it I wing it!) Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover, simmer for about one hour.  Stir occasionally. Remove ham bone, and when cool enough to handle, cut off meat and coarsely chop. Let the dogs fight over the bone- I mean discard it if you want.  Return the meat to the pot and add 2 stalks celery, chopped, and 2 medium size carrots also chopped. Stir in well. Cover and let simmer about another 30 minutes. Serve. Season to your liking. And don't forget to serve with a fresh biscuit or a bun. Keep warm my friends, from the inside out!!!



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment