Tuesday, October 26, 2010

a little bit of this 'n that



Well, I am being a 'bachelorette' this evening and most of tomorrow. Frank and the kids took a trailer load of bovines to the Grande Prairie Livestock Auction this afternoon. The sale starts tomorrow morning about 10 ish. We 'shipped' the bull, a culled cow, and four of this years spring calves-all steers. The gang left about 2.30 pm and they arrived at the auction mart about 5.30 pm. The highways were clear all the way. The cow - can't remember her proper name, we just called her Butter-bitch,- calved back in May, and she had come back in her cycle last week. She's only 5 years old. The bull is a 2 year old, no sense feeding him thru the winter. We will just purchase another bull come spring. Frank figures we might get $600/animal. They will spend the night at our daughter's, Cassierae, and the son-in-sin, Mike.



Madeline wants to stay with her sister for a week or two. To hang out. Do what sisters do with each other. By than Madeline will be extremely bored and missing her horses, and than she will want to come home. Maybe when I  go get her, I could kill two birds with one stone and try and  get some Christmas shopping done. That would  be great!! Can't believe it is only two months til Christmas. I love Christmas, don't get me wrong, I just don't like shopping for it. What I really want to do, is do all the shopping online!!


Soon I will be planning my Christmas baking. (I am not even done canning those damn tomatoes yet. Maybe I could feed the rest to the chickens- bwhahahahaha-that is my evil laugh) Frank always says that I make to much, and that we all end up getting fat the winter. If anyone reads my blog, lets swap recipes.! I am always on the hunt for something new to make for Christmas. I have made several different kinds of sweets over the years, besides that goodies that get done in the oven. Let me know if your interested.

Over the weekend, with the first official snow of the season-although winter doesn't officially start until the winter solstice-but hey I guess that is splitting hairs-we have so far accumulated eight inches of snow. Yep you heard me correctly, 8 inches of the white stuff.  I have decided that I am going to keep track of the temperature, and snowfall this year. Why? Because winter lasts roughly eight months, boredom, but out curiosity mainly. The first winter we spent here in our new home, 2006-07, I heard that at the Manning airport, thru winter, there was 10 feet of snow. I would like to see what we get here on the farm.

It is going to be a noisy evening. Those three mamas that don't have their calves anymore, have started a choir, and they are not singing on key or together for that matter. The rest of the calves will get seperated on Thursday. I hope the weather is a bit warmer, don't need no sick calves.
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I have a couple of yummy cookie recipes. I'll dig them out this weekend, and send them along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks Liz. Any recipe that is your family's favourite Christmas treat send along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made all the cookies lol can't wait to do it again this year

    ReplyDelete