Wednesday, November 17, 2010

mmm...doughnuts!!!

It definitely feels like winter today. At 6 am this morning it was a balmy -18 and it is still that temperature. We had about another inch of snow through the night. The hubby is grumbling about how much he hates winter. Me, I am a bear. I hibernate through winter.

The kids did chores while I worked out. When I was done, I finished with my fromage blanc cheese. I had to take it out of the cheese cloth. I had it hanging since 7.30 pm last night. I mixed some of it with a minced garlic clove, dill weed, parsley, salt and pepper. Maddie tried some on a wafer cracker. She enjoyed it. But the garlic was strong. Not bad for one tiny little clove. Powerful stuff  I tell ya!!

Young Frank had plugged the tractor in, when they were out doing chores. Yep it is left up to us to do the feeding. I hate trying to spread bales out using the tractor. The hubby makes it look too easy. I told the kids you feed cows and I will make you some doughnuts. (I betcha you were wondering when the doughnuts were going to enter in this post). Here is the thing with the doughnuts. I haven't made them in years. And I have never made them since we moved here in 2006. According to the peanut gallery it has been forever and a day since I have made them.They are acting like I am depriving them of 'goodies'. My response? Whatever!

Cassierae had phoned me shortly after I had made them, so I had to rub it in. I told her the only way she could enjoy the doughnuts was to look at the picture of them on my blog. Without the recipe. She said no fair. Ok, so I will post the recipe also.



SWEET MILK DOUGHNUTS


- beat two eggs, add 1 cup sugar beat very well
- stir in: 1 cup milk
            5 tbsp of melted shortening or lard
            4 cups of flour
            4 tsp baking powder
            1/4 - 1/2 tsp cinnamon
            1/2 tsp salt

* mix with hand until blended. the dough will be very very sticky. I ended up adding more flour. I don't know how much. I just added until the dough wasn't sticking to my hands. I also kneaded it like you would if you were making bread. I did that with the dough in the bowl. 

-heat your oil. I have a deep fryer so that is what I used. 


- roll or pat your dough to about 1/2 thick on a lightly floured surface. 




-using a doughnut cutter, or whatever you have on hand. keep your cutter well floured, so the dough doesn't stick to the cutter.


-here is a little trick with theses doughnuts, this is what I did. I put the doughnuts and holes on a piece of lightly floured wax paper while my deep fryer was heating up. By allowing the doughnuts to 'dry' for a few minutes, they will absorb less fat while frying.

-once your oil is heated, place a few doughnuts in at a time.


- they will float to the top
- each doughnut takes about 3 minutes to cook. you will have to flip them over to brown the other side. be careful that you don't splatter hot oil on to yourself.



- when they are done cooking, place on a paper towel covered plate








- when the doughnuts cool, dust them with icing sugar. and easy method of this is to use a paper lunch bag or glaze them. 
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I made them! And if you dont have a fancy doughnut cutter I used a glass and a shot glass. Super good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha .....that was fast Cassierae!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there any way to make donuts without deepfrying them? I don't have a fryer, nor do I plan on getting one, but I loves me my donut... :)

    ReplyDelete