Saturday, November 27, 2010

Really I do enjoy milking but....


Since Madeline left on Wednesday, it has been left to me to do all the milking. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy milking. There is something very soothing sitting beside your cow, while she is chopping done on her rolled oats, and hay, while you are pulling on her teats. The cats meowing with anticipation waiting for their bowl of fresh warm milk.  I enjoy the peace and barn noises. However, what I do not enjoy is when I can't get any cooperation from Misty.

I do believe, that Madeline 'spoils' Misty. This cow thinks she can get away with anything.

We milk on the right side of the cow. Which means Misty's back right leg needs to be back. With the beginning of arthritis in my left hand, her leg needs to be further back than what she is accustomed to. Trust me, Misty does not like her leg back! It takes me a little longer to milk her than Madeline, which doesn't help. So the fight is on! 

So with all that bullshit going on, she is thinking 'I'll get even'. So, she is decides to take a shit! Now that is a sure sign, that you know when she is pissed off with me for taking to long milking, and messing with her back leg. I didn't quit milking like she thought I was going to. Nope. Once I cleaned up her mess, I went right back milking her. Trust me, she didn't like that either. But I got the job done. I told Frank, that is it, Madeline is not allowed to go anywhere when there is a cow to be milked. 

I have been milking by hand for 16 years now, and with sitting at the cow's side for that long, you learn a few of their 'signs.' I knew Misty was pissed with me, so I was prepared and ready for when she pooped. No shit splatters on my stool, or my milk pail. I have learned over the years, I am boss, not the cow. But I can't seem to teach that to Madeline. One doesn't have to be mean to the cow, to show her who is boss. But I didn't quit milking until the job was finished. But I have learned as I get older, I need a fresh new cow that is learning how to become her role as a family milk cow, and that she will be standing for about 30 minutes in the stall getting milked, because this ole girl is getting older, and it takes me a little longer to do a job that use to take me only 15.


Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I finally found my cookie recipe! Wasn't sure where to put it, so might as well start here...

    Chocolate Mint Truffle Cookies

    4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
    3 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
    3/4 C butter
    1-1/2 C granulated sugar
    3 eggs
    1/2 tsp mint extract
    1-1/2 C all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 C mini choc chips (I use mint chips 'cause I couldn't read my writing)
    1/3 C crushed candy cane

    ~ In heavy saucepan over med-low heat, melt unsw. and semisw. choc and butter. Remove from heat. Vigorously whisk in sugar. Whisk in eggs, 1 at a time. Whisk in mint extract.

    ~ In bowl, whisk flour with baking powder; stir in choc. mixture. Stir in choc. chips. Transfer to bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2 hours. (You can make up to 24 hours ahead - highlight this on the paper as I forget every year and start cursing the damn recipe)

    ~ Roll dough by heaping teaspoonfulls into 1" balls; place 2" apart, on parchment paper-lined or greased rimless baking sheets. Bake at 350F (180C) oven until slightly firm to the touch, about 8 mins, rotating and switching pans halfway through.

    ~ Remove from oven; sprinkle each cookie with scant 1/4 tsp chopped candy. Let cool on pan on rack for 5 mins. Transfer to rack; let cool completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one's really good too.

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Big-Soft-Ginger-Cookies/Detail.aspx

    Instead of rolling them in white sugar, I use maple sugar. You could mix half and half with the white sugar too. Maple sugar is kind of expensive but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Liz

    I made whipped shortbread cookies the other day, and I went to blog it, and now I can't find my recipe...

    I swear I am losing my mind, I have misplaced a few other things too!

    ReplyDelete