Wednesday, January 26, 2011

how I avoid getting the winter blahs...

Winter here in the north country is extremely long and boring and very cold. For the past two weeks we have been hovering around the -37º to -40º without the wind chill. I am like a big ole grizzly bear. I hibernate through winter. I have such disdain for winter it is unbelievable!! (When I started to write this posting Jan 22, we had a good wind go thru here, and knocked out our high speed-I have been lost without it!)

I haven't yet gone stir crazy which is a good thing. I don't go outside.At all! I know very bad for me on soooo many levels. The teenagers do the chores. One day they will be gone, and it will be left up to me once again to do the milking, feeding the cows and chickens. To chop and haul the wood. Part of me can't wait for that day. But the other part doesn't want it to happen. That part, either stems from being extremely lazy or that one day I will actually be alone during the day. Which I have not experienced in over twenty seven years. I have a feeling it might be a foreign concept to me. If and when that happens I shall let you all know.

I do not like winter driving. I find there is no valid reason for leaving the farm when the temperature is below       minus 15º. I have everything that I need here.I do not visit neighbours. The closest neighbour to me lives 2 1/2 miles down the road. And they are snow birds.  I do not have any friends. Believe it or not, I am very shy. I get nervous and I stammer when I am around folks that I don't know.  Knowing this about myself, I have learnt over the years how to keep myself occupied and from going insane in  winter.

So. What do I do from going crazy? Well I have a few things that I do. I really enjoy watching old movies. If there is a good movie on tv I will sit and watch it, while I crochet. I have been working on a shawl for my mother, but I ran out, so I had to order more. My mother is not a very slim woman.(I think she is pushing the 400 pound mark. Trust me, she gets real pissy if we voice our concerns over her weight. Tomorrow she will be 76, and if she hasn't done anything about it now, she probably never will) And with her living 5 1/2 hours away from me, I can't measure her. So I am guessing how big I need to make it. When I get it finished I shall post a picture.

I have also been reading several different books. And yes all at the same time. I would like to share some of those that I have been reading.

I think the title says it all. It was written in 1999, but I think a lot of what Amy wrote about than applies today. A lot of useful information a person can draw from.










A very interesting read. I have put two of these books into my wish list at Amazon for my older girls for Christmas.











This book includes hundreds of remedies and recipes. It also includes recipes for household cleaning-the natural way. Even for the beauty conscientious, there is recipes for homemade beauty products.








This book is basically about how industrialized farming is not working. Talks about how our food is chemically grown, destroying the soil, making our children sick and so much more. I just don't know how to put in proper words. I think it is worth the read. And here is the good thing about this book, it is about Canada's agriculture industry.








What have you been reading lately?
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment