Sunday, March 20, 2011

first day of Spring brings.....


According to Frank, our first calf is due end of March. Oh, he informed me of this just yesterday morning. As I am sitting at Misty's side pullin teats, Frank comes back into the barn, and "ask" for my assistance when I am done milking. Sure, no problem. What do you need help with? Boot's calved in the snow, and the calf is partially frozen. It was -11 C. No worries. 

Frank picks up the calf, but Boots ( she three years old) doesn't want to follow. She keeps going back on me, to the spot in the snow, where she had her calf. Meanwhile, Frank is standing there, holding this calf, trying to make little calf noises, and getting tired by the moment. He has spent most of the winter in camp, operating a grader (Frank is a grader operator), grading bush roads, and now is sciatic nerve is acting up. I know holding a hundred pound calf is probably not helping. A few choice words were spoken between us. 

Now to add to all the excitement, is Rambo. Who is Rambo? He is my ram. He is somewhat of an a.......! He doesn't think anybody should be near the cows or his ewes. I think he has some sort of complex. I am sure he thinks the beefies are part of his  harem also. Well he started coming after me, not once, not twice but a few times. Now, I am are trying to get a cow to do what I want, and she has other plans. And her plan was to head for deeper snow, which is up to my ass. I can't maneuver in that stuff. Plus now, I am dealing with a ram that can. I did the only thing I could do. 

I went and got Frank Jr, -he was hauling wood. Old Frank, brought the calf as far as the barn. Frank Jr brought the calf the rest of the way to the house. Where we worked on him, to finish drying him and blowing drying him dry. Finally got some colostrum into him. 

While I am writing this the two Franks, have gotten Boots into the corral with the Jerseys, and barn ready for the new mama and calf. Frank is hoping that in the next half hour, we can get the calf moved to the barn and start the bonding with his mama. 

ps: In defense of Frank and his record keeping (with me constantly nagging at him, he is finally getting better. Just took 20 years!!)  that the bull was turned out with the girls on June 17. That makes the first day of calving March 29. So I can't figure out why the calf was born nine days sooner, and it is full term.Also, their was no bull on the farm until June 17. 
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, I don't know anything about a country lifestyle. That's why it is so interesting to me. Congratulations on the first calf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Olga. It was not our intention to start calving this early. Too darn cold for that! April weather is better. I prefer May. Our concern now is that he will suck his mama.

    ReplyDelete