Tuesday, April 19, 2011

well, this is a first...

Last night as I went to put Lamb in the barn, I slipped and fell on the ice. Not even three feet from the house. It was like getting side swiped by a bowling ball. My left leg was swept out from underneath me, and I landed hard on my left hand. The pain was instant. I am usually a pretty tough ole gal. But the pain was unbearable. I was lying in the mud holding my left hand, crying like a new born babe!

I should of went right back into the house to get Frank. But he was visiting on the phone with Maddie, and I kept telling myself that I need to put Lamb to bed, and check on the babies. I cried all the way, holding my hand. Scared to see the damage--you know the worst things always go through your mind first. I already have 'arthur'-itis starting in my left hand, and I am thinking I have done it now! Still I continued to the barn having a wrestling match with my thoughts. "Head back to house. No. I need to put Lamb to bed."

It was strange, the dogs usually bark their brains out, and the ewes in the barn are calling out, making noise. But last night, they were all silent. It is like they knew I was injured.

When I finally made my way back to house, I called out to Frank. He told Maddie he had to go. I was trying real hard to sound 'normal'. It didn't work. He was thinking that one lambs got injured or had died. And yes, I would bawl over that. When he came to  the porch, he was kind off pissed off. Which I knew he would be. After 24 years, you get to know your mate pretty good. Before he could ask anything,  I told him I fell, and hurt my hand. 

We didn't go to the hospital last night. Manning has a part time doctor, and he is here only twice a week. I couldn't even ice my hand. I took some advil, put a wrist brace on it and went to bed.
Frank had to dress me this morning, it took awhile. Husband! I milked Misty, with one hand.

We headed to the town of Peace River to the hospital. 3 1/2 hours later and a few x-rays. This is what the doctor tells me, that I have a possible fracture of my Scaphoid bone.
Scaphoid bone

I am suppose to keep wearing my wrist brace, come back on the 29th to get another x-ray. The only thing that has come out of all of this, is...no dishes, no peeling spuds, and anything else that requires two hands. But it also means no sewing, and no crochet. That sucks! Oh, except the milking. I will still have to do that. It is a good thing that Misty is relatively patient! Nope the men around here don't pull teats. Apparently, bovine teats are the wrong kind.

I will be hen-pecking my blog for the next few weeks. So please forgive me for any errors that I may have over looked.
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Owww, so sorry Cheryl.
    You make sure that husband takes good care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch, I hope that gets to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama!! I'm the only one who is supposed to fracture bones in the left hand! You should leave that job to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take care of yourself. I hope your hand will feel better in short time. I'm sorry it had to happen to you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies for your well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry. I can only imagine how frustrating it is to not be able to use one hand for a while. Hope you recover fast.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete