Tuesday, May 17, 2011

forest fires

The smoke from the forest fires that we are having in the Peace Region along with the Lesser Slave area having been blowing in since Sunday. I think today is the worst of the smoke so far. The Lesser Slave is where the town of Slave Lake is located. It is really horrible and surreal with what is happening there. We are use to hearing stories of peoples homes going up in flames in California, but this is a first in Alberta. I haven't seen the evening news yet, but as of this morning, 40% of the town has gone up in flames.


On Sunday May 15, 2011 p.m., Northern Sunrise County Council  has declared a state of local emergency for the areas around Marten Lake and Little Buffalo due to a forest fire.  The communities of Red Earth and Loon lake have both received evacuation notices. The Northern Sunrise County is located near the Town of Peace River. And Peace River is an hour drive south of our farm. 


Imagine if you will, sitting around a campfire, and it doesn't matter where you sit, the smoke is always coming at you.  We have ash falling and it is collecting on the deck. Even inside the house with the windows closed, you can smell smoke. It is probably a good thing that none of us suffer from asthma. 



I wish I had a different camera that could capture the colour of the sky for you all. 


Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Holy crap mom! I hadn't realized it was that bad or that close! And you have ash there? SOmeone came into the store today and said ash in Slave Lake was like that from a volcano. Big clumps that exploded when they hit the ground.

    Jeez is that orange!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only smoke in Grande Prairie is on the north end, you can see where the smoke start's and the blue sky ends just one straight line. I guess there was a fire in Sexsmith area too. And as of April 2011 Alberta has had 459 fires!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear friend, that sounds terrible. I sympathize with you. I hope it ends soon, and you will have some rain. I'll send you some rain from Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Olga, today isn't as bad as it was on Tuesday. the smoke is still in the air, but not as thick. I hear booming in the distance to the north, I hope it means rain, but I sure don't want the lightening strikes! There is currently a province wide ban on any kind of fires. But mother nature doesn't abide by those rules!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could send our rain your way. I've been in through times when ash when and smoke are all around, I know how terrible it is. Stay safe and I hope they get it contained soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, those pictures are something.

    I had looked up Deadwood on a map back when the fire was going through Slave Lake and was glad to see you were a ways away from it. Glad you guys are safe.

    And like Olga said, I'd be happy to send you some of our rain. There's been so much, the mosquitoes are the size of small birds this year. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Liz

    There are still a few forest fires burning, as the crow flies-easterly, from here at Red Earth. Those folks there have also been evacuated. The pipeline that developed a 'leak' in that neck of the woods - the repairs have been put on hold. As of Thursday, the workers still have not been allowed back in to continue the repairs. Usually we do not get forest fires in Alberta this early in the season.

    If I am not mistaken, but our land is in what they call the "Green Zone". We need permission to burn a burning barrel or even a brush pile. Our land is also adjacent to acres and acres of crown land. We are a little concerned that if and when we start getting thunderstorms if a lightening strike would start a fire in that area. But one can't live their lives worrying over things you can not control.

    I will take whatever moisture you can send our way!

    Glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete