Tuesday, June 7, 2011

not much going on around here...

Saturday we headed back down to Drayton to return Olivia to her mama, and take Madeline back for she had to work on Monday. We spent the night at Liz's. We left about 10.30 am Sunday morning. 

When we got home later that evening, George was making a good ruckus.  He was letting me know, that his seed dish was empty.

George, the canary


Frank was busy yesterday: cutting the lawn, watering the trees, the  tomatoes, the herbs, and my flowerbed on the south side of the house. I was in the house most of the day doing woman's work. 

Today was on the cool side. I wanted to start a fire, but didn't want to go outside into the cold wind to the shed to get an armful of wood. Yeah, I guess I wasn't cold enough. I just put on a pair of wool socks, jeans, and a flannel shirt. The highest the mercury would go was 10 above and even the sun didn't want to shine. It was over cast most of the day. Did it rain. Hell no!! Frank was watering the rest of the trees this morning, that he never got to yesterday.

The two boys of mine are over at the neighbours finishing off Harry's deck. They are buidling the handrails for the stairs. Frank also wanted to reinforce the middle of the stairs. So whether I like it or not, I had to venture outside to gather the eggs earlier this evening. On my way to the henhouse, I looked over my garden. My peas, beets, onions, carrots, potatoes, kohlrabi, and the row of mixed flowerseeds are up. Last Thursday, even though the moon was in the wrong sign, I planted my cucumbers, sunflowers, corn, beans, parsely, dill,  squash, and swiss chard. It was probably a good thing, because Friday morning is when we had the snow, and we left on Saturday for Drayton Valley. On the 9th I will plant the rest of my garden. If the wind is not so strong tomorrow, I would like to get my pumpkins, watermelons, cauliflower, celery and cabbage transplanted into the garden. I will also like to plant more cucumbers.

I have my 'dandylion' wine fermenting. Boy does it smell gooooodddd!!! I can't wait to taste it!! I need to re-rack my potatoe wine. I got to much of the gunk from the bottom of the fermenting vessel in my bottle. I will wait to enlist Frank's help. 

I walked over to the corral to check on my sheep. Boy are those lambs growing fast!! Maddie took this picture of two ewe lambs when she was here. We decided to call the black ewe Claire, and her sister poking her face over the feeder Tess. I have made arrangements with Aaron, my neighbour who is an elderly cowboy, to purchase his three year old Dorset ram. So Rambo will be going to market soon. I  might purchase a few of Aaron's ewes off of him. I just haven't decided yet.  


Claire and Tess

Frank and I tossing around how we can swing purchasing 'new' used haying equipment. Our old haybine gave up the ghost last year. And Frank hasn't been able to make it to any farm auctions this spring. I told him if we were going to buy anything we need to do it quick. If we are lucky, we might be able to start haying in July.

 Last night he took a walk out to the alfalfa field and politely told me when he came in he told me "If we are lucky we might get 50 round bales off of that field."

"Oh!" I said. :So what you are telling me is, that we might have enough feed for 5 cows for the winter."

It better hurry up and rain!!!  Sometimes living on the land really bites!!!
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. We have also had very little rain. I don't think we have had any in almosst three weeks. Also the temps have been in the 90s for two weeks and still going strong. Feels like August instead of June. Can't believe you guys had snow.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane

    I'm just glad the snow didn't hang around. Wish it would have brought some moisture with it. We haven't had no rain at all this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, a very interesting post. It's fascinating to know what's going on around you. These guys in the last photo are just begging to be drawn or painted :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you didn't get any moisture out of all that radar activity I saw up your way. 3 years ago we had almost no precipitation at all until September. Farming anywhere, especially way up here, is such a chancy thing...and "consumers" are rarely willing to do what it takes to really understand this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Olga: I think all babies are adorable. If I could paint critters I would have a never ending source of inspiration!

    Hi Jerry: This will be our third summer also with little moisture. We think it is already to late for the hay crops. Some of the grasses are starting to head out. And I agree with you Jerry. People are now to far removed from the land, that they think all their food just magically appears in the superstores on Styrofoam trays. They have no idea which end of a cow to kiss. And they don't wish to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the names ma I wonder were you came up with them lol

    ReplyDelete