Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I am still here!!!


When I went  to go get Maddie earlier this month, I was stuck behind Kirk Sutherland's chuckwagon outfit. His fancy rv unit was behind me. I thought it was cool. don't worry I wasn't driving at a 100 or anything. This was taken as we all were driving through construction. I know. I became one of those people that take pictures while driving!!!


Maddie, gettin lovins, from her ponies.


Maddie blowing out her birthday candles. My baby girl turned twenty on the 20th.


We all went to check out the beaver damn. All the rain in late June and July, blew part of the damn apart.



On the way to the beaver damn, we came across bear tracks. People probably would mistaken these for Sasquatch tracks. They were a fair size. That is for sure and certain!!




Haying season is finally done!! Frank has been hauling a few loads every night, after he gets home from work.


I have been building myself a shelf. It just needs a few coats of paint, and it will be finished. Mind the mess in behind. This is my corner. The shelf stands about 36" h  x  24'' l  x 6" d. I will probably hang it on the wall in the corner near my sewing machine. I haven't decided if I will put pretties on it or crap! I guess we will see.


Yesterday, I picked beans. Enough for seven quart jars. My pumpkins won't make it. They are waaaay to small. Next year, I will just start them in the house.  I forgot my wheel barrow in the garden earlier this month. And now it is surrounded by pumpkin vines.


Monday, Frank Jr, and I, went to Risto's- and elderly neighbour- and picked crab apples. I started some crab apple wine today.


I have been busy putting up beets- 32 quarts so far. My aim is to grow food enough to go from one growing season to the next. Ole Clarence, gave me two canners full of eating cucumbers. I made about 26 half pints of sweet relish and seven pints of an Indian relish. I still have cucumbers, but I have no idea what to do with the rest. You can only eat so many cukes a day!


My childhood friend, Shannon,  found out about a month ago, that she has terminal cancer. The news hit me like a ton of bricks. If I don't think about it, I am ok. But once it enters my head, I am reduce to a puddle of tears.She has a really rough few months ahead of her. I am hoping that maybe in June, when all the lambing, calving, garden planted and the grand baby is born, I can head out to Saskatchewan to go see her.
This cancer that she has, once she is done the treatments, they told her that she could have as few as three years, or if she is lucky maybe eight. I really think cancer is bullshit!!!  Anyways. She started chemo treatments three weeks ago. I crochet her a chemo cap. 

I have also started on some sewing projects, and crochet projects that will be for Christmas. Yep. There is only 115 days until Christmas. Really. I am not counting. 


Pin It

8 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your friend. Our prayers are with her. Yes cancer is bull. No other way to put it. I see it every day. My question is why the good people and not the dirtballs of this world. That bear track would make me stop and take notice. The shelf looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving that shelve!!(ps start making me one for babies room :) ) Great job ma. I'm sure auntie S will love her cap also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kelly for your prayers. I was out picking mushrooms last week after I was done raking hay, and came across fresh bear poop--it was still steamy. I told the dogs, 'back to the truck, we will go find mushrooms elsewhere!' I am already thinking of building other stuff. Mind works overtime. I wish I had about ten of me!!

    Dear Cassie: I will have to think about the shelf for the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about your friend, Cheryl. And you're right. It is bullshit.

    I've got to say - I'm awfully impressed by your shelf. And all that food you've put up! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My nickname around here Liz, is 'squirrel'! The boys hung my shelf up tonight. I must say, it doesn't look to shabby for a girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I regret to hear the news about your friend. It's so sad to know she has so little time.
    You have wonderful things in store for winter. I have spotted something delicious in these jars :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry to hear about your friend as well. Some things go without saying, yet must be said anyway.

    I`ll add my congratulations on your squirrelishness too! Well done.

    I pass by that Sutherland rig whenever I drive to GP from our summer pasture half section. Their home base is along the same range road. I don`t know much about horseflesh but there is always plenty of nice looking stuff there.

    Congrats on the hay being done also. We have around 200 round bales that must still be brought in...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jerry

    I am not MIA--just busy putting up the garden!!!!

    Hi Olga

    My shelf has changed since I took that photo. When I am all done, I will post another 'updated' version! lol

    ReplyDelete