Monday, August 1, 2011

putting up mushrooms

As promised,  I am going to show you what I did with all those Bolete mushrooms that I picked last week.



Clean. Blanch the mushrooms in small batches in:
2 cups vinegar
2 oz water
2 tsp salt

Blanch no more than three minutes per batch.


Drain on paper towels, and set aside to dry for at least eight hours.


Pack into sterilized jars, add 1/2 tsp peppercorns. If you are keeping these longer than six months, fill with safflower oil. If you plan on using these up prior to that, use extra light olive oil.


Another option is:


Chunk and fry until all the water has 'cooked' off the mushrooms. Once the water is all gone, I add a bit of veggie oil and salt and pepper. I finish frying them. Cool. Put the mushrooms into freezer containers. Label. Use up within six months. 


I also found some meadow mushrooms growing in the yard.


I sliced and dehydrated them. These dried mushrooms taste good in soups.
I will let you all know, how they taste this winter, and the ways that I use them. 

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Good to know, thanks for sharing. I need to learn about wild mushrooms and after the month of rain I have been wishing I did so before now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good book to get to help you identify mushrooms is:

    COMMON MUSHROOMS of the NORTHWEST by J. Duane Sept

    It is published by Calypso Publishing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great post! Really useful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you found it helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you learn all that you know about identifying edible mushrooms with that book? It's something I'd like to learn (especially after our second wet summer), but I'm not sure I'd trust myself. I think I need a guide. Are you coming to Edmonton soon? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Evelyn

    I was just in Edmonton last week!!! I learnt some mushroom picking from the hubby--the Boletes

    Meadow mushrooms and puff balls, I learnt as a teenager.

    There is another type of mushroom I would like to pick, but I need to go with the neighbour. Like you, I need to be 100% sure that I am picking the right mushroom.

    ReplyDelete