Thursday, September 1, 2011

spiced crabapples

Since we picked two-- 5 gallons pails of crabapples, one needs to figure what the hell to do with them all! I started my wine yesterday. That took of about eight pounds. This morning, I have already made spiced crabapples. I haven't had spiced crabapples since I was a kid. Mmmm Yummy!! So I thought I would share.


Into a pot, add:

 6 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups water
5 cups white vinegar

Stir and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes.


Tie into a double layered cheescloth:

cinnamon sticks broken into about 3 inches ( I used about 4 sticks broken in half)
1 tablespoon of whole cloves
1 tablespoon of whole allspice

Set aside for now.

Need about seven pounds of crabapples. Firm ones are the best. Try not use any that are slightly bruised. Save those for juice or jelly. Prick skins, this helps to prevent bursting while cooking. Remove the blossom ends, but leave the stems on. 


Add the crabapples and the spice bag to the pot. Cover and simmer until just tender, about 8-12 minutes. Discard spice bag. Using a slotted spoon, spoon the crabapples into hot sterilized jars to within 1 inch of top. Pour syrup over apples to within 1/4 inch of top. Seal. This made me about 7 quarts.


I guess with the rest I shall juice!



ps. I had to make a bit more sryup, I didn't have enough.

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. OH I have to try this! They look/sound incredible. I've never had spiced crab apples, but yum! We have tons, so I'll have to go out and pick some to try this. I look forward to hearing about your wine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last fall I made wine with regular eating apples, and it turned out great! This, I guess, is an experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this sounds wonderful! Great way to enjoy those apples.

    Thanks for following my blog. I'm so glad that you left me a comment. I'm following yours now too and will be back often to get to know you.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have wild apple trees in the yard but I'm not sure if they can be used like real crabapples. Maybe I should give it a go.

    They look and sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last photo is like a midwinter dream :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Olga

    I love eating the fruit that I have put in the summer, to enjoy when it is -40 and ten feet of snow. Its like cheating winter a wee bit!

    ReplyDelete