My three hives have arrived.
The kids were coming home for a visit last weekend, so I made arrangements for them to pick up my order at Spruce Grove, earlier in the week. I am not a very good blogger, I don't have a picture of my hives on the back of Brad's truck. But the girls took pictures, so I am waiting on them to send me a photo. When I brought the boxes to the house yesterday, I did remember to take a picture.
All this chaos, is the materials needed to build the frames and the foundations.
So, today, I started building the frames.
These are the four pieces that make up the frame.
Parts of the frame: the top bar, side pieces (2), and the bottom bar.
My kit did not come with instructions, so I really had to Google, and find a good site that would help me build my frames.
Now, I am the first to admit, that sometimes, I do not use my noggin, and I tried using a pair of scissors to 'open' the tip of the nozzle on the wood glue. I cut my finger, and broke the tip off of the bottle. I don't suggest using this method. Now I have to use an artist paintbrush to get the glue out.
The supplies need to build the frames is as follows: wood glue (is a must), 1" finishing nails, and 1 1/4" finishing nails.
First, glue all the pieces together. Just add a dab of glue where the pieces will be joined together.
Using, the 1 1/4" finishing nails, nail two nails on each end of the top bar. Using the 1' finishing nail, repeat the process on the bottom bar.
Also using a 1 1/4" finishing nail, toenail through the side bar into the top bar, one at each end.
The foundation that I am using for my bees to build their combs on is called a Plasticell. You can't really notice in the photo, but the top and bottom bar are grooved. This makes it real easy for the foundation to pop right in there!
Three down, 87 more to go!!
ps: I can build about 10 frames and foundations in an hour.