Friday, March 16, 2012

We must be getting really good at 'altering' things to suit our needs.

'The world is what you make of it, friend. If it doesn't fit, you make alterations." 
 Stella from 'Silverado'

When we were at the Canadian Tire store last weekend in Peace River, I noticed ironing board covers. My cover was in really rough shape and the ironing board use to be my mother's. I remember as a very small child ironing my dolly clothes on this ironing board. How I came to be in possession of said ironing board, I don't recall. When the board came to reside with me, it was even naked. I bought a new cover for it than. Oh so many years ago. Hence, the reason why I was looking at new covers at Canadian Tire. 

Plus I was getting tired of Frank's threats at throwing out my precious ironing board.

I was looking through all the different patterns, widths and lengths offered. I didn't think it was so hard to pick out a new cover. I didn't realise there was so many choices. So, I erred on the side of caution. I grabbed the package that offered the longest cover. Which was 48 inches. It was a Debbie Travis cover for $25. Frank was having a mild kaniption fit over the price.  I noticed brand new ironing boards with a cover for $30. But they were made out of a very light material. I want to say plastic.  The more heavy duty ironing boards were from $60 up towards $90.  

This conversation between Frank, Maddie and I was happening because I wasn't sure if the Debbie Travis cover would fit. Honestly, I thought it would be to big. Plus, really to be honest, I was mulling over the idea of having something brand new. Which in my world, is rare. But I was attached to my very old ironing board from the sixties. Along with the black tape to replace the rubber that was missing on the one leg. My board was full of sentimental value. All those little dresses and outfits I have made on that thing. Plus all those blue jeans that got ironed when they came off of the clothesline when I was a teenager.

 How could I possibly replace old reliable with something that would break in a couple of years? 

Nope. I will just buy a new cover. 

 Than Frank pipes up, 'Why don't you just make one?' 

See ladies this is what happens when you get real good at building, fixing, or re-purposing things. The hubby starts to think you are a super builder or something.

I politely told him 'No. I will buy a new one'.

The next day I measured my ironing board. Guess what? The Debbie Travis cover was six inches to short! The chances being back in Peace River in the next couple of weeks to return the cover were slim to none.

Frank says, 'What about the ironing board that is in the fat man shed? The cover might fit that one.' 

(The fat man shed is dubbly named not by me, but by the kids. This particular shed has an extremely skinny door. Which I can barely fit through. Please, I don't wish anybody out there to get offended. And if you are, I am deeply sorry.)

 Frank brings it in. Guess what? 
Yep. It was exactly the same length as mine. But better condition than mine. Had all four rubber thingies on the legs. Even stood taller than mine. 

'Well,' he said. 'I could cut down the square end, the required amount and than your cover should fit.'
'Ok. But which one would you cut?'
'Which one do you want me to be wreck?'
'Not mine.'

And of course, I didn't think about taking a before photo.


Frank cut off the six inches, and bent the ends in.



The Debbie Travis cover fits well enough.






Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Och, outraged!!

    Just kidding, congrats on the new board, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if something won't fit, make it fit!! lol

    ReplyDelete