Friday, April 5, 2013

a broken record...

Not much going here.
I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but it is extremely hard to do anything outside with all that snow. And it keeps coming. Had another few centimetres of snow last night and today.We have had snow on the ground since the first week of October. Winter just seems to be hanging on. I know that I am getting antsy about getting outside. Waiting for the buds to start appearing on the poplar trees. Waiting on the first robin to make their spring debut. Geese. Swans. The first blade of green grass. Anything spring-ish!

Last year, I never had a garden. And I miss it. 
I started tomatoes, peppers, and herbs at the previous place, prior to us moving. I just planted them in the  perennial garden that was here. 
I plant by the moon. I have done it for so long, I don't really know why I do it. But I do. This weekend I will start a few seeds that jive with the moon phase. 

My late father use to tell me stories when I was a child, how his father would only butcher on a waxing moon. Dad said the bacon would 'spit' less.  Keeping that in mind, I try to do butchering by the moon too. Whether we are butchering lambs, and pigs ourselves or when we take them to the butcher shop. I try to make sure it coincides with the appropriate moon phase.

There is something that is so simple, timeless, and natural by doing things with Mother Earth's natural rhythms. 

The boys went to their first farm auction of the season yesterday.
There was a round baler there, that Frank was real interested in. As the time honoured  tradition goes,  prior to any auction, is the question 'How much do you think it will go for?'
I stayed home. Somehow, I really wasn't in the mood, for putting long underwear back on. It. Is. April! Enough of the long johns!! 

They went back today and brought home the baler. 



Some how it seems wrong to be buying a baler, with all that snow on the ground!!

We went to the accountant this morning. She has all the paper work for 2011 tax year. I am glad that task is done for this year. 
But I am already three months behind on this year's books.

 My order came today.




When we use to live near Drayton Valley, there was a store there I really loved. Nutter's. I liked buying some of my baking supplies there. A lot of it was bulk. But since moving up north, my choices are nil to none. I did find a store online. Vanilla Food Company. I like them. If any of you have found other online Canadian shops, please share. 


And since I can not do any gardening until JULY! I have been busy baking.




What else can a girl do?






Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I thought I had your email address but I don't :( I wanted to make sure you saw my reply, just in case you missed it if I replied on the blog. Anyway! My cheese making supplies I get from Cultures for Health - you can find them online. I find the prices are good and their products are good. There are a few companies in Canada but I found the shipping was too horrible for me to handle. The easiest cheese with vinegar is just to take a gallon of milk - goat or cow, and bring it up to 180 degrees F (keep your thermometer in it so you can watch.) Pretty much that's scalding, but make sure it's the right temp. When it's 180 degrees, turn the heat off and add 3/4 of a cup of vinegar you can use white but I prefer apple cider because I find it leaves a lot less taste. Stir it with a spoon for a bit (off the heat) and you'll see the whey and curds coming apart. Just let it sit off the heat for about 1/2 hour to an hour then line your collander with cheesecloth and strain away all the whey - you'll be left with the curds. (they are small but add up to a lot when strained) hang your cheese in your cheesecloth over your sink (and a bowl) for about 2 hours to drain the rest of the whey and you've got cheese! Then you can eat it like that or season it :) As for the Dairy goat - buy a goat that's already been bred at least once and all of the Dairy breeds are great but my favorites are Alpines. Nubians are cute but much stronger personalities. Saanens will give you the absolute most milk and they are very kind natured, but an Alpines milk is sweeter. The Saanen is the Holstein cow and the Nubian is the Jersey - you'll get less milk but higher cream, and the Alpine is very close to the Nubian. So if you want the most milk get a Saanen, if you want the creamiest milk for cheese, get an Alpine or Nubian (there are other dairy breeds but they are a bit smaller and I'd for sure get a full size.) Send me an email if you want to talk more about it!

    Your bread looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete