Wednesday, April 24, 2013

balsamic roasted veggies

 I have some fussy eaters-one is not a big fan of chicken, and one doesn't like to eat frozen vegetables. 
Over the years I have been trying harder and harder to get rid of processed foods from our diet. We never ate a whole lot of that sort of stuff to begin with-just trying to eliminate it even further. 

If I can cook a meal, that doesn't include frying meat-I try to bake or grill our meat, or to many boiled vegetables-these too I either steam or try to roast, I seem to have happier eaters.

 I am trying to eat more like our 'caveman' ancestors-food prepared close to their natural state. And since I have Genetic Hemochromatosis and high cholesterol, and that I am almost fifty- I have been trying to change the way our food is preserved and served and with more of a variety. I am especially trying to incorporate more of  the root vegetables-not just the potatoe into our diet.

Since gardening season is almost upon us and we are all planning what we are going to be growing this year. I want to try my hand at growing parsnips, and brussel sprouts. Hence the recipe that I want to share with you that I found on Pinterest months ago.


Balsamic Roasted Vegetables

INGREDIENTS:

parsnips-peeled, washed and evenly sliced
 carrots,-peeled, washed and evenly sliced
 fresh brussel sprouts- washed, stem ends trimmed, and sliced in half length wise
1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 
1-2 tbsp olive oil


Toss the veggies, oil and vinegar making sure all the veggies are coated. If you like you can sprinkle on salt and pepper.


Roast in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25-30 minutes, stirring and 'flipping' occasionally to evenly brown the veggies and also to prevent them from burning. 
Test for doneness by pricking a piece of parsnip.

sorry for the horrible picture

The recipe didn't call for parsnip, but I added it. I have made this with a whole onion sliced into chunks. I have also tried it with potatoes. But we all prefer it without the spuds. Also, adjust the balsamic vinegar and the olive oil to your own tastes.



Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I will say cheers to you and your getting back to basics~ we are on much the same page! love the recipe and we do the same with our garden crops. Yum~

    ReplyDelete