Saturday, April 20, 2013

Ike and surgery

Well today started like most others. Wake up, turn the coffee pot on and turn the morning news on. Madeline is up and getting ready for work. Frank and I watch the morning news, drinking freshly perked coffee. All three of us discussing world events, not understanding why the world has gone crazy.

Madeline left for work at 7.15 am, it had been snowing for hours already. We say the usual good byes: drive careful, have a good day at work, see you tonight, love you. We all give hugs and kisses to each other. 

Young Frank got up, we have breakfast, and the boys head out about 8.30 to do chores. I head to the garage to water my seedlings before going to the barn and the corrals. Frank hollers from the tractor. All I heard over the engine of the tractor was  horse. He motions to where three of the horses are in the shelter. 

What greeted me was not pleasant sight. My heart sank and I felt sick to my stomach.

 I must warn you the  photos that I am about to share are very gruesome. 





Ike has injured himself beyond anything I have ever seen in all the twenty something years I have been living on the farm.  If you all recall, Ike is Madeline's four year old, retired thoroughbred race horse. 

I phoned Madeline at work to let her know that Ike injured himself, and what would she like me to do. My description and her vision of Ike's injuries were not the same. When she got home, and she seen the extent of the wound, we called the vet in.




Richard giving a sedative to Ike

Giving Ike a local freezing

local freezing to Ike's belly wound

shaving around the wounds



Stitching the inside wound under the 'flap' of skin on Ike's shoulder.

after Richard had the shoulder all stitched up. He left an opening in both wounds for drainage.




Richard gave Ike a shot of long acting penicillin, which we need to repeat on Tuesday. After a couple of days, we will have to give him a gentle wash with cool water for ten minutes. Besides keeping an eye on the drainage, Richard prognosis is that over a month, as long as everything goes good, Ike should be back to normal. Keep your fingers crossed.




Pin It

3 comments:

  1. How traumatic for you all, I hope Ike makes a speedy recovery. Do you know how he injured himself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a bolt on a panel gate that always stuck out to the inside of the shelter. No other animal, cow or horse, ever hurt themselves on it. We have no idea how he could have done this much damage to himself, but with the way Ike and Madeline's 2 yr old stud colt-Whiskey Jack- play, we can only imagine. Frank cut most of the bolt off.

      We are looking into some natural herb remedies to help speed up his recovery and to help prevent infection.

      Delete
  2. Well first of all, ouch! Horses, I tell ya! I hope it heals well and quickly and you avoid any infection issues.

    ReplyDelete