Tuesday, May 21, 2013

whats been going on around here....



The boys got the tin on the porch/deck roof last Thursday. The wind was actually calm enough for them to do their job! We have had some wicked winds lately! 


My cold frame was destroyed by.....


.....Goldie! She dug in it, and made herself a comfortable spot to lay. Some days, these dogs are lucky I have more bark than bite!!!


These are most of my seedlings that I started. I have three different varieties of tomatoes, peppers, squashes (not in this group), flowers, herbs, artichokes. I planted about 30 asparagus. I sure hope they grow! 


Frank got my garden all roto-tilled yesterday. I really hate starting a new garden plots. This will be my third garden spot that I have created in 28 years. I am praying it is my last. The husband is not allowed to move us anymore. I even told him, if he thought about moving, I would pack his bags! All said with a smile! 


Today it was raining, so I didn't get my root vegetables planted. The moon is still in a good phase tomorrow-so I am hoping that tomorrow it isn't raining.


Madeline got her two mares over the weekend. The red one is Brandi-Ike's mother, and the grey one is Lou. Lou won a couple of races, but Brandi didn't. Explains why Ike was never a placer. Both these mares are bred back to a Quarter horse. Going to be real interesting what their foals are going to look like next spring! Lou is the boss and a bit high strung. They both need refresher courses-they both are broke to ride, its just  been a while since they have had riders on their backs. The past few years, they have been just brood mares.




These three amigos were really interested in what and who the newcomers were. I wonder if Ike remembers his mama? Ike's wounds healed really nice. He runs around like he was never injured!



Frank Jr, has been working on his '74 Duster. He is getting bored being at home. This is one of the downfalls about working in the oil patch. Come springtime, you sit and wait to be called back to work!


We finally had our first lamb yesterday. I haven't even check to see what she had!


I moved her and her lamb into the jug late yesterday afternoon. Tomorrow, both of them will get 'branded' and dock the lamb's tail, give it needles. And if it is a ram lamb, I shall band him.



Frank also made a plank fence in behind the house. 


The chicks are growing. Sorry no photo. We turned our milking stall into a temporary chick run! We also 'chick' proofed the small pen in behind the barn, so the chicks can go outside. 

We moved the cow calf pairs out into the west pasture. Misty is with them. She is bagging up! I am so excited about her calving. She hasn't had a calf in two years. She had milk fever, and I think that set her back. 
We also discovered one of the Jersey heifers is also bred! 
None of us are impressed. Damn teenagers! I am starting to think that Jerseys hit breeding age early compared to the beef breeds. We figure she must of got bred in September/October.  And the bulls were still in with the cows and calves. 
We weaned the calves when they were approximately six months of age-which would have been in November.


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You've been busy :) Love reading about your days... I'm jealous of your rain - we haven't had a DROP! It's BONE dry here with grass fires burning (not near me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last summer we didn't have any rain at all! We went into winter dry, and this spring runoff disappeared fast. I seen on the news last night about the grass fires near Edmonton. Scary. Especially with the wind!

      Delete