I like to think that I am a resourceful kind of gal.
I would love to have a brand new patio set for out deck. I have been wanting one for about 16 years. Talk about a long term wish! Anyways. I figured since we can't afford a new set, at least I have some skills that I can build us a table for our deck. Which I did.
I don't like using a circular saw, but I am ok using the table saw. We didn't have any 2x4s, so I took scrap 2x8s that Frank had left over from building the floor joist from the deck, and ripped them in the half for my table.
Frank also had a very old dull chisel that I used for my notches.
Considering this is the first piece of furniture that I have made, I don't think I did to bad! Yes I am tooting my own horn.
My basic pattern is Ana White's farmhouse table I just modified it.
As promised, here is a photo of our fine feathered friends who have taken over our milking stall.
The boys chick proofed the pen in behind the barn. The chicks love being outside.
I have alot of painting to do this summer! I need to finish painting the barn. Last summer I used about 12 gallons of paint on the barn and the two sheds. The south side of the barn is all that is left!
Went and checked on Misty a couple of times today. Her bag is getting bigger. I think she will calf closer to the end of the month.
This is the little Jersey heifer that got herself into trouble! You can't tell in this photo, but her back quarters of her udder is getting bigger/fuller.
Frank was hooking up the electric fence on Monday, and he was talking wire from another cross fence in the smaller paddocks and he didn't close gates behind him, and Madeline's horses got out into the Junkyard paddock. Maddie decided to kick them out through another gate into the bush pasture-except for the two new mares. She didn't want the minis to go out to the bush, but Charlie being Charlie, went through the fence and joined the bigger boys.
The fence that Frank was adding the electric fence to, is the one seperating the Junkyard paddock from the west pasture. Don't need the bull to go through the fence to get himself a little nookie before we want him to.
While I was out checking on Misty the horses were up.
Ike's wounds have healed nicely.
I swear that Pinterest is going to be the death of me! I am getting way to many ideas!
I started this 'trellis tunnel' on Sunday, and I got it finished today. I am way to short to be hammering the six foot T-posts in the ground, that I had to stand on the wooden step ladder. The husband finally took pity on me today, after I had eight post in the ground, he helped me with the last four!
I have cucumbers planted in the front bed. I am hoping I can train the cukes up the cattle panels.
This project didn't cost me much. We already had a stack of cattle panels that the previous owners left behind. The T-post I purchased at Peavey Mart for $6.99 a piece before GST.
Had another lamb this morning. The lamb that was born yesterday and this little one are both ewe lambs. Yep! I finally checked! Both lambs have had their tails docked ( I put a band on them), both have had their needles-we give 1/2 cc of vitamins A & D, and 1/2 cc of selenium, and all four were given a paint brand. I only know a few of my older ewes by sight. The yearlings I can not tell apart. So, this year I decided each mama will be given a letter from the alphabet, and the lambs will get the corresponding letter. If a ewe gives birth to twins each twin will have the same letter plus a number. For example A1, A2.
This is my storage shed-for now.
It was located back by the old henhouse, bunkhouse, and the garage.
Can you see the hint of blue through the trees? That is our dugout. Our only source of water, for us and the livestock. Last year, it was stilling 'running' with over flow. This year it only over flowed for a couple of days.
It went for a little ride.
And found a new home.
The bees were slightly pissed off that there was all this noise and intrusion. I think we should have waited until 10 pm to move the shed. I am hoping that we didn't mess up the flight path to bad for the girls.
A few from the house. The shed will be getting painted, and it is getting re-purposed into a 'summer' house for the chickens. The plan is to make a chicken run along the two sides of the garden. Less grass for me to cut, and the chickens can be on pest control.
Frank had noticed during the spring melt where the water was running. And one of the places it was running was under the shed. He dug some soil out and made a 'pond' for future ducks.
The excess soil went to where the addition use to be on the garage, and where my greenhouse will be going.
Frank also got the rails made on the stairs. Now he just needs to build the wall for the porch!
While I was trying to write this post, Frank came in the house and called to me. He said 'you have a problem with your Jerseys'
The problem was that Miss Dolly had her calf! A little heifer.
Took a bit, but I got her to suckle!